LEADERSHIP IN PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION: CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS
The problem of leadership in public administration system investigated in the article.
The role of leadership in public administration at the current stage of socio-economic development grounded. Public administration is responsible for the coordination of all activities within the state and the provision of basic services for the people in the country. Effective provision of services in the sphere of public administration depends on the work of managers, which in its turn depends on many factors – a style of leadership and motivation among them.
Five options of the definition of «leadership» in the context of public administration suggested. Thus, leadership in public administration should be understood as: the process of providing results in an efficient and legal manner; the process of development/ support of employees who provide a result; the process of adapting the organization to the external conditions, changes at the macrolevel and restructuring of organizational culture according to its needs; focusing on service and the combination of providing technical support, internal direction for employees, external organizational direction – with the orientation on public service.
Comparative analysis of leadership in public administration organizations and commercial organizations carried out. It is stated, that when trying to achieve a high level of efficiency state employees are seeking for better approaches to leadership and want to adapt the models that exist in business.
It is proved that the concept of organizational leadership in the sphere of public administration consists of the following basic elements: vitality of the organization; respect of the electorate; the enthusiasm of employees; strategic leadership and operational leadership. These elements are to be understood and used for effective activity by all organizational leaders.
2. Розвиток лідерства / Л. Бізо, І. Ібрагімова, О. Кікоть, Є. Барань, Т. Федорів; за заг. ред. І. Ібрагімової. – К. : Проект
«Реформа управління персоналом на державній службі в Україні», 2012. – 400 с.
3. Статистичний щорічник України: [Електронний ресурс]. – Режим доступу: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua.
4. Толкованов В. Основні результати реалізації програми розвитку лідерства / В. Толкованов, В. Ковальчук // Вісник Державної служби України. – 2012. – № 4. – С. 9–15.
5. Ee Wan K. The Role of Leadership in Organizational Transformation / K. Ee Wan // Civil Serivce College, Singapore, 2013: [Electronic source]. – Access mode: www.cscollege.gov.sg/ Knowledge/Pages/The-Role-of-Leadership-in-OrganisationalTransformation.aspx.
6. Epitropaki O. From Ideal to Real: A Longitudinal Study of the Role of Implicit Leadership Theories on Leader-Member Exchanges and Employee Outcomes / O. Epitropaki, R. Martin // Journal of Applied Psychology. – 2005. – Vol. 90 (4): [Electronic source]. – Access mode:http://www.academia.edu/4276215.
7. Fernandez S. Developing and Testing an Integrative Framework of Public Sector Leadership: Evidence From the Public Education Arena / S. Fernandez // Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory. – 2005. – Vol. 15 (2): [Electronic
source]. – Access mode: http://www.pmranet.org/conferences/ georgetownpapers/Fernandez.pdf.
8. Flinn, K. A Complexity Approach to Leadership Development: Developing Practical Judgement / K. Flinn, K. Mowles, C. Jan
// Leadership Foundation for Higher Education: [Electronic source]. – Access mode: http://www.lfhe.ac.uk/en/components/ publication.cfm/ST-19.
9. Krapp C. Values and Leadership Preferences in the Public Sector / C. Krapp. – University of Twente, Enschede, 2013: [Electronic source]. – Access mode: http://essay.utwente.nl/63438/1/ Krapp_Charlotte_-s_0169420_scriptie.pdf.
10. Schlappa H. Leadership, Power Dynamics and Structure in Co-produced Public Services / H. Schlappa, Y. Imani // Paper Presented at 1st International Conference on Public Policy, Grenoble, France, 26/06/13: [Electronic source]. – Access mode: http://researchprofiles.herts.ac.uk/portal/en/publications.
11. The Official Site of The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development: [Electronic source]. – Access mode: http://www.oecd.org.
Abstract views: 46 PDF Downloads: 25